By this stage in our lives, we are all accustomed to the age-old saying that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. However, that should not deceive you to even think for a moment that other meal choices are not in the running. Time and time again, studies are released that prove lunch is most certainly a close runner-up.
The importance of fueling your body in a nutritional manner is a precursor to how one will eat as the day continues on. It has been proven that people who don’t eat lunch tend to gain more weight because they overeat during dinner time to compensate for lunch….and haven’t we all done just that!
Eating lunch also raises your blood sugar level in the middle of the day, which gives you the energy you need for the rest of the day. It also enables you to focus and concentrate on your afternoon.
With ALL of these benefits of a sound lunch choice, why don’t we capitalize on this meal each and every day? While days get crazy and life gets in the way, the following are some mere suggestions to either pack/plan ahead or to get your juices flowing….
- Veggie + Hummus Sandwich (think crunchy veggies mixed with your fave protein-packed spread)
- Chopped Cobb Salad (use low sodium turkey or shredded rotisserie chicken)
- 3-Ingredient Chicken Salad + Wheat Crackers (by using a flavored low fat mayo, adding chicken and celery rounds out the recipe easily)
- Fruit, Veggie, and Cheese (make your own healthy charcuterie…sometimes a little bit of everything is JUST what you need)
- Greek-inspired (taziki on anything is delish…try wrapping a spoonful up in lettuce for a crunchy wrap)
- Grain Bowls (quinoa and wild rice are great to anchor a yummy, layered lunch option)
- Yogurt Parfait (granola, low-fat yogurt, and mixed berries are as easy as 1,2,3!)