Summer is certainly a time to sit back and relax; however, the effects of the extra beverages and lack of routine can most certainly come back to haunt us come denim season in the fall.
Thankfully, our bodies can bounce back a bit easier than one might think. While attitude and perspective can certainly help the process along, more and more products and advice are being put out into the world to help us along sooner rather than later. Be it a food to integrate or an approach to factor into your day, the following are a few mere suggestions to help you tone that tummy in no time flat (no pun intended).
To aid the process…
- Destress: Stress is a huge contributor to the bloating game. Cortisol is released when a freak out begins and it has been consistently shown that stressors affect the digestive system. Some natural ways that are proven to lower cortisol are getting better sleep at night, exercising, and meditation. Take a walk. Sign up for a pilates or barre class. Do something to get your body and brain in motion.
- Intermittent Fasting: While dieting can be a slippery slope, intermittent fasting is a tried and true way that some medical experts think can decrease bloating and increase general health. If you’re unfamiliar with how intermittent fasting works, it means that you only consume food during an eight-hour window of your day, and the other 16 hours are meant to be spent fasting. No Oreos at bedtime…so sorry.
To nosh on…
- Ginger: Ginger is a tiny ingredient that packs a huge punch. Sneaking ginger into your diet is a great way to banish the bloat in a quick manner. It’s absolutely considered to be one of the most anti-inflammatory ingredients out there.
- Lemon: Yet ANOTHER easy add-in to consider when a toned tummy is your goal! Lemon can help relieve bloating and other symptoms of indigestion. By hydrating with extra H2O with some additional lemon squeezed in, your body also gets the “good acid” it needs.
- Spinach: While we know greens are good for overall health, the halt they can induce on bloating is tremendous. You’ll get the most fiber by eating spinach raw, but cooking it makes upping your intake easier.
- Bananas: They may feel heavy, but bananas do not make you gain weight. They are loaded fiber and potassium, which helps relieve water retention. Go grab that nana and go knowing your waistline will thank you later.
- Avocados: We all love avocados in some shape, way or fashion. While we don’t need to match it with a margarita every time we grab the guac, avocados are filled with healthy monounsaturated fat….the “good” fat we need.